Live streaming has become one of the fastest-growing niches in the online market. Numerous content creators live stream their activities, from playing games to visiting different places. If you are also interested in developing a live video streaming platform for mobile or web, you will need a good live streaming API or SDK.
You can read about the best 10 live streaming APIs and SDKs you can use to develop a free live streaming platform in this article.
What are the Benefits of Live Streaming APIs?
Why should you choose a live-streaming API? It provides many benefits, like streamlining your operations, saving resources, and quick deployment. Below are a few major benefits of integrating live streaming APIs:
- Easy Integration
Adding live streaming functionalities to an already existing web or mobile app can take time and effort. If you try to add it from scratch, it can affect the platform structure and cost many resources. A live streaming API can solve this problem by providing easy and seamless integration for adding live streaming functionalities.
Live streaming APIs not only provide easy integration but also allows you to fully customize the live streaming functionalities in your app. You can build something completely new using the live streaming API as the basis. It allows you to create a unique live-streaming platform that can outshine your competitors.
If you are having different issues with your apps, it is always a good idea to integrate an API to resolve that issue. It easily reduces the sticking points in your system and allows you to run operations more smoothly. Adding a live streaming API to your broadcasting platforms improves customer and employee engagement.
- Quick Development
Using APIs or SDKs when building a live streaming platform allows you quickly develop the project without affecting quality. Developing a native live streaming function in your app might seems like a good idea, but it will cost a lot of time and resources. The live streaming APIs or SDKs offer you better functionalities at a low cost.
Part 2: Ways to Use a Live Streaming API
The live streaming APIs can be helpful in many situations and provide significant benefits when added to the web or mobile apps. They can be used for educational purposes like teaching English, holding large classes, webinars, etc. You can also live stream activities you are passionate about, like your fitness routines or video game play.
If you are a content creator, you can live-stream your content, like songs, dances, concerts, etc. With the help of live streaming APIs, you can also hold live shopping events if you run an e-commerce business. Similarly, important events in your neighborhood or cities can be live broadcasted using live stream APIs for a wider audience.
10 Best Live Streaming APIs to Build Mobile and Web Apps
We have collected a list of the 10 best paid and free live streaming APIs and SDKs to build mobile and web apps. You can read the information about these APIS and SDKs below:
ZEGOCLOUD offers the best live-streaming API for building mobile and web apps with live video streaming functionality. The API is easy to integrate into already existing platforms, and you get complete control over the integration process. It provides great features for live streaming like screen sharing, instant start, multi-camera live, watermark branding, instant messaging, live interactions, etc.
- It provides support for live streaming high-quality videos at lower bitrate using H.265 codec.
- Users can record their live-streaming videos so that they can be used for playback on-demand.
- ZEGOCLOUD provides 10,000 free minutes per month for high-quality live streaming.
- It is possible to enable a virtual gifting feature so that the audience can support the streamer.
The live streaming API offered by Agora can be used in building interactive live streaming platforms on mobile and the web. It provides interactive streaming at large scales with fast integration. During live streaming, it provides excellent audio quality with up to 192kbps and uses 3D spatial audio. Its other prominent user functions include fast rendering, adaptive bitrate, screen sharing, etc.
- The streamers can use the dual video streaming option to live stream at both high and low bitrates.
- Users can co-host the live streaming with up to four channels using Agora’s live streaming API.
- Integrating other services like AR facial masks, beautification, noise suppression, etc., is possible.
- Using adaptive bitrates, you can live stream up to 1080p video quality at 30fps.
The Muvi live-streaming API lets you build live-streaming web and mobile apps. It supports live streaming using HLS and RTMP feeds and an easy process to embed live videos. All the live streaming on the platform can be recorded for future use. Users can also make their live streaming more secure using different options like screen recording protection, geo-blocking, watermarking, etc.
- It allows users to stream from any camera, including handheld, mobile, or laptop cameras.
- The live streaming is done at an ultra-low latency to ensure a smooth experience.
- Users can organize exclusive live events, real-time interactions, and on-demand viewing.
- You can use single sign-on, restricted access, and geo-blocking options to create a safe live event.
4. CONTUS VPlayed
CONTUS VPlayed allows you to build reliable and secure live-streaming web and mobile apps. It allows you to build a fully customizable live-streaming platform with the addition of real-time analytics. All the uploads on the live-streaming platform will be end-to-end protected. Users can also use the social media integration feature to inform their viewers about upcoming live streams.
- Users can schedule their live streams beforehand and let their audience know to create a buzz.
- It allows audience members to move the video backward and forward during a live video stream.
- The push notification function can be used to inform your subscribers about the live stream beforehand.
- You can record live streams without transcoding and get complete control over your content.
The developer-friendly live-streaming API from MUX allows you to build web and mobile apps with live-streaming video functionalities. The integration process is straightforward and comes with proper documentation. It is also highly scalable and can easily grow with the platform. The RTMP and HLS are used for accepting live broadcasts and output streams.
- MUX’s API allows users to transition from live streaming to video-on-demand easily.
- Its standard latency feature provides high-quality live streaming and is recommended for concerts, sports, gameplay, etc.
- It is also possible to broadcast live to social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.
- During live streaming, it provides auto-generated live subtitles for the viewers.
6. VideoSDK Live
You can use the live streaming SDK from VideoSDK Live to easily build live streaming apps on the web, iOS, and Android. It provides an interactive live streaming platform that uses adaptive live streaming to enhance the quality and experience of live streaming. In adaptive live streaming, the algorithm will automatically choose the video codec, resolution, and bitrate, depending on the device.
- When recording live streams, you can record video and audio streams separately.
- Users can easily change their backgrounds and layouts and invite guests during live streaming.
- You can simulcast your live streams on social media platforms like YouTube, Periscope, or Twitch.
- It provides low latency during live streaming to give streamers and audiences a smooth experience.
Eyeson provides a simple-to-integrate live streaming API that can be used to build live streaming platforms. Users can use it to easily live-stream different events to reach maximum engagement. You can also use its custom video layouts to merge live media, data, and participants into a single screen for easy viewing and control. It also provides a moderation dashboard during live streams.
- It lets users live stream on different platforms with enabled chat and comments features.
- The live-stream layouts can be customized according to the users’ needs.
- Streamers can engage with up to 9 video chat screens and 100 audio participants when interacting with viewers.
- During live video streaming, it provides low latency to ensure the quality of the live stream.
8. Ant Media Server
The And Media Server provides a robust and fully customizable live streaming API to build your live streaming app easily and quickly. It is also highly scalable and easily grows with your apps. Users can share their video game live streaming at low latency and can also attend live classes, seminars, events, etc. It supports protocols like WebRTC, CMAF, HLS, RTMP, etc.
- It provides adaptive bitrate streaming to ensure the best user experience for viewers.
- The video streaming on the platform is entirely secure.
- Users can also do 360 degrees live and video-on-demand streams.
- You can live stream from even mobile browsers and simulcast to Periscope and other networks.
With SendBird’s live streaming API, you can easily turn your web or mobile app into a live streaming platform. It allows users to host real-time interactive live streams to build their brand. Users can keep their free live streams safe with advanced moderation and record them for future use. The smart algorithms auto-detect and adjust the volume levels during live streams.
- Users can do public or private live-stream events with the moderated conversation.
- It is possible to make and receive group video calls during the live stream.
- You can live-stream your broadcast from any device.
- It provides low-latency live streaming, which allows users to react to live streams in real-time.
When using live streaming API from 100ms, you can build interactive, flexible, and reliable live streaming platforms. It allows users to create a two-way live stream with real-time interactions using chat and emojis. The live stream can be started from an app, mobile, or browser with low latency. When using it, users can use features like video recording, screen sharing, raising hands, etc.
- Users can create a custom layout for live streaming with the help of live widgets, heads-up display, etc.
- It is possible to blur the background or replace it during the free live streams.
- The whiteboard function allows users to draw and explain their thoughts and collaborate with others.
- Views can enjoy real-time chatting with rich features.
The need for live streaming will increase with time due to the increasing popularity of the live stream market. Adding live streaming and other video functionalities might be a good idea if you want to make your web and mobile apps more relevant. ZEGOCLOUD helps you easily integrate live streaming functionality into your web and mobile apps.