The profession of a doctor, regardless of its specialization, remains one of the most prestigious in our country to this day. Someone considers it romantic and noble and dreams of saving people from a variety of diseases, and someone – simply profitable. But regardless of which category of applicants you belong to, you must first enroll in medical institute and successfully complete the course. Only then is it possible to obtain a doctoral degree.
In this article, we describe in detail what entrance exams you need to go to a medical institute, and we also give some useful recommendations for successfully coping with all the difficulties of admission. Besides, we also explain to you the importance of GAMSAT tutors, click here for more details.
Competitive advantages of entering a medical university
At any medical university in the US today, there are both paid and budget departments. It is absolutely not difficult to take part in the first ones, since only financial opportunities (both yours and those of your parents) matter to them. That’s why we don’t dwell on this topic for long, but go straight to the topic of competitive advantages when entering the budget.
Let’s start with the fact that the easiest way to get into university is after a medical degree. Especially if the average educational institution you studied in the same specialty in which you want to enter the institute.
Study medicine right after school? The admissions process becomes more difficult as the following achievements are taken into account in addition to the exam results:
- Availability of diplomas and awards for participation in various (but more specialized) Olympiads and competitions;
- Any success in athletic competitions;
- The presence of an active life position and participation in social activities.
As already mentioned, all these and other achievements are due to additional criteria that are taken into account during admission. The main ones are precisely the results of the exams, which we will discuss below.
Which school subjects should be given special attention?
In order to be accepted into a medical university, you must successfully pass the exam after graduation. Which subjects are preferred for the future doctor? On the one hand, there are disciplines such as the English language and literature, which are taken by absolutely everyone, regardless of the chosen profession. Secondly, prospective doctors definitely need knowledge of biology (regardless of whether you want to become a surgeon or a pediatrician) and chemistry.
If you dream of going to medical secondary school, be sure to pay attention to the last two topics. Pay special attention constantly try to go beyond curriculum reading further reading. In this way, you acquire enough knowledge to not only pass the uniform state examination, but also to pass additional examinations that may be compulsory at some universities.
In addition, today almost every educational institution has practice courses. If you are going to study at a university for the first time, want to achieve your goal without repeating exams for the next year, it is better to enroll in these very courses. You study exactly the topics that you can certainly encounter during admission, so the chances of getting into the budget department are significantly higher.
If you still have not entered when you had to return home “on the sign”, do not immediately despair. The thing is that every year additional days are organized for everyone, when you can try to retake the exam and get the required score.
And today we will talk about doctors.
The doctor is one of the noblest professions. Despite the low wages, it is considered the most prestigious in the USA.
Saving lives, accepting thanks from saved patients and their relatives, seeing happy smiles everywhere – what could be nicer?
But there are also reverse medals: constant stress, very frequent overtime, constant willingness to help, the ability not to let the pain of another get through your heart, a firm hand and iron self-control.
However, if you are reading this article, you have already decided who you want to become in this life. Our job is to help you and tell you everything about how to enter a medical school / university (with a budget or a paid department), what subjects you need to pass for it, what documents you need.
Here you can also find out whether it is difficult to study medicine and which educational institution you should choose.
What exams do you have to take?
If you feel that this is your very calling, prepare to overcome difficult obstacles, the most important of which are trials.
The first thing you need to get into medical school is excellent knowledge of chemistry and biology. For applicants to medical universities, these are specialized disciplines, and preparation for their delivery should begin well before the exam.
Ideally, you have to decide on a profession in the 9th to 10th grade in order to be able to start studying the subjects intensively. In this case, the student still has some time to catch up and understand the incomprehensible.
Once you have decided on a medical school, we recommend that you visit it in advance and speak to local students. This allows you to look into the whole course of study, familiarize yourself with the list of exams required for admission and get to know them in more detail.
In order to be admitted, the applicant must therefore pass the examination in the following subjects:
How to prepare for exams
On the basis of most medical universities there are two-year preparatory courses. During classes, university professors train students for exams.
How good are these courses?
- The student is completely immersed in the university environment.
- Meet future teachers.
- Can understand in advance whether the chosen direction is suitable.
But these courses are usually expensive.
However, there are express courses that last a few months. They not only explain, but test knowledge.
If you cannot afford to spend large sums of money on tutors or such courses, find out if your university of choice has the opportunity to take preparatory classes away.
When delivering individual exams in physics, chemistry and biology, not only the preparation for these subjects plays a role, but also use the time achieved points. Often the minimum limit at medical universities is 50 points in specialized disciplines.
The number of points plays an important role in deciding what form of study to send the student to – paid or budget. Depending on the state regulations, each state university has very limited budgets, which is why there is a lot of competition for a place on the course.
The tuition fees at the selected university can be viewed on the website of the educational institution
What documents are required for admission?
Before entering a medical school, you must collect a list of documents required by law. The list is the same at all universities:
- Declaration of the applicant;
- A completed application form;
- Secondary school leaving certificate;
- Use results;
- Original passport and copy;
- 2 photographs 3*4, signed in pencil on the reverse;
- Medical certificate in the form 086-y;
- If there are benefits, documents confirming the right of reference.
The documents can be submitted either personally or by post. In some educational institutions there is electronic registration of students who will send documents by mail.
Which medical schools should you apply to?
If you have decided on a profession but cannot choose a university, note the criteria for choosing a university:
- Territoriality. Usually a big role in whether to attend a medical school in Minnesota or St. Petersburg Medical University, plays the location of the incoming. On the territory of the Federation there are about 40 medical universities in different regions of the country. This allows students to stay as close to home as possible instead of traveling thousands of miles.
- Prestige of the university. Applicants especially like the “tower” of St. Petersburg Medical Universities. Although the quality of education is the same everywhere, competition in these places due to funding will be much greater.
- Developed infrastructure. It is worth knowing in advance where the buildings of the selected university are located, whether there are dormitories, living conditions and entry options, what leisure time activities the students have and everything to do with programs for the harmonious development of the individual.
- Additional Information. Mature students recommend applicants to find out in advance faculty, whether there are laboratories, hospitals and polyclinics with which the university cooperates, libraries, its own Internet resource. Also, the presence of a morgue is an important indicator, since it is the main supplier of anatomical materials, without which it is impossible to provide students with a full-fledged education.