Halong Bay is a World Natural Heritage Site that offers stunning scenery and a rich culture. Learn how to plan and enjoy a Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi.
A Comprehensive guide to Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi
Halong Bay is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Vietnam, recognized as a World Natural Heritage Site by UNESCO. With thousands of limestone islands and islets, majestic caves, and diverse ecosystems, Halong Bay offers stunning scenery and a variety of activities for visitors. If you are in Hanoi and want to explore this natural wonder, you can take a Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi, which will give you a glimpse of the beauty and charm of the bay. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to plan and enjoy a Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi, including the best time to go, how to get there, what to do, and how much it costs.
What is the best time to go to Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi?
Halong Bay has a tropical climate with four seasons: spring (March to May), summer (June to August), autumn (September to November), and winter (December to February). The best time to go to Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi depends on your preference and expectations. Here are some pros and cons of each season:
- Spring: This is the peak season for tourism in Halong Bay, as the weather is pleasant, the temperature is moderate, and the sky is clear. The spring is also the time for many festivals and events in the region, such as the Halong Carnival, the Yen Tu Festival, and the Cua Ong Temple Festival.
- Summer: This is the hottest and most humid season in Halong Bay, with the average temperature ranging from 25 to 35 degrees Celsius. The summer is a good time to enjoy swimming, kayaking, and other water activities in the bay, as the water is warm and calm. The summer is also the low season for tourism in Halong Bay, as many domestic tourists avoid the heat and the rain. You may find some good deals and discounts for your trip.
- Autumn: This is the most beautiful and romantic season in Halong Bay, as the weather is cool and dry, the temperature is mild, and the sky is blue. The autumn is a great time to admire the scenery and take photos of the bay, as the sunlight creates a magical effect on the water and the rocks. The autumn is also a relatively quiet and affordable time to visit Halong Bay, as the number of tourists is moderate and the prices are reasonable.
- Winter: This is the coldest and driest season in Halong Bay, with the average temperature ranging from 15 to 20 degrees Celsius. The winter is a good time to enjoy the peaceful and tranquil atmosphere of the bay, as the number of tourists is low and the water is calm. The winter is also a suitable time for hiking, biking, and exploring the caves and islands in the bay, as the weather is comfortable and stable.
What is the best time to go to Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi?
How to get to Halong Bay from Hanoi?
Halong Bay is about 170 km away from Hanoi, and it takes about 2.5 to 4 hours to get there, depending on the traffic and the mode of transportation. There are several options to choose from, such as private car or motorbike, public bus, shuttle bus, or seaplane. Here are some options for you:
Private car or motorbike
If you want to move comfortably and without waiting, renting a private vehicle is the best option. You can rent a motorbike or a car to travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay. The rental price for a motorbike is approximately 150,000 – 200,000 VND per day, while the rental price for a car is about 1,200,000 – 1,500,000 VND per day.
You can use public bus services to reach Halong Bay from Hanoi. There are two popular bus options, Group tour buses and Kumho buses. The ticket prices are around 100,000 – 200,000 VND per person.
Shuttle buses are a popular choice for travelers when going to Halong Bay from Hanoi. Bus companies like Halong Express, Cat Ba Express, and Queen Cafe Limousine offer shuttle bus services to transport passengers from Hanoi to Halong Bay at a cost of approximately 150,000 – 200,000 VND per person. The travel time is around 2-4 hours depending on the schedule and traffic conditions.
Another choice for tourists: Taking A Train From Hanoi To Ha Long Bay – Experience The Authentic Route
If you want a unique and exciting travel experience, a seaplane is the perfect choice for you. This service is provided by Vietnam Seaplane, and ticket prices range from 5,000,000 to 10,000,000 VND per person depending on the season and booking time. The travel time is approximately 45 minutes, and you will get to enjoy a panoramic view of the beautiful Halong Bay from above.
What to do with 1-day trip to Halong Bay
Halong Bay offers a variety of activities for visitors, depending on their interests and preferences. Here are some of the most popular and recommended things to do with 1 day trip in Halong Bay:
Enjoy the view of the most attractive places of Halong Bay on day cruises
One of the best ways to explore Halong Bay is by taking a day cruise, which will take you to the most attractive places of the bay, such as Thien Cung Cave, Dau Go Cave, Ti Top Island, Sung Sot Cave, Luon Cave, and more. You can also enjoy the panoramic view of the bay from the sundeck, and learn about the history and culture of the bay from the guide. There are many options for day cruises, ranging from budget to luxury, and from traditional to modern.
One of the most unique and impressive day cruises is Paradise Delight of Paradise Vietnam Cruise, which is a 5-star super-dining cruise with a capacity of up to 360 people. Paradise Delight Cruise is an iconic rendezvous for epic art shows, parties, events, conferences, seminars, and weddings, thanks to its modern European style and an itinerary that includes scenic spots around the natural heritage of Halong Bay. You can enjoy the exquisite culinary experience, the visual spectacle show, and the live music on board while admiring the stunning scenery of the bay.
Kayaking or rowing a bamboo boat
Another great way to experience Halong Bay is by kayaking or rowing a bamboo boat, which will allow you to get closer to the water and the rocks, and discover the hidden gems of the bay, such as the lagoons, the caves, and the fishing villages. You can also enjoy the tranquility and the adventure of the bay, and have some fun and exercise. Kayaking or rowing a bamboo boat is usually included in the day cruise package, or you can rent them separately at some locations, such as Ba Hang Fishing Village, Luon Cave, or Vung Vieng Fishing Village.
Halong Bay is famous for its majestic and mysterious caves, which are formed by the erosion of the limestone over millions of years. Each cave has its beauty and story, and some of them are decorated with colorful lights and artificial structures. Some of the most popular and impressive caves in Halong Bay are Thien Cung Cave (Heavenly Palace Cave), Dau Go Cave (Wooden Stakes Cave), Sung Sot Cave (Surprise Cave), and Luon Cave (Tunnel Cave). You can visit these caves by boat or by foot, and marvel at the stalactites, stalagmites, and other formations inside.
Visiting fishing village
Halong Bay is not only a natural wonder, but also a cultural heritage, as it is home to many fishing villages, where the locals have been living for generations. Visiting a fishing village is a good way to learn about the daily life and culture of the fishermen, and to support their sustainable development. You can visit some of the fishing villages in Halong Bay, such as Cua Van Fishing Village, Ba Hang Fishing Village, or Vung Vieng Fishing Village, and see how they live, work, and play on the water. You can also interact with them, buy some fresh seafood, or join some activities, such as fishing, netting, or pearl farming.
Halong Bay is also a perfect place to enjoy swimming, as the water is clear, calm, and refreshing. Swimming in Halong Bay will give you a chance to relax, cool off, and admire the scenery from a different perspective. You can swim at some designated spots in the bay, such as Ti Top Island, Soi Sim Island, or Tuan Chau Island, where the water is shallow and safe.
Watching the first real-life show staged on a cruise in Halong Bay
If you are looking for a unique and memorable experience in Halong Bay, you should not miss the opportunity to watch the first real-life show staged on a cruise in Halong Bay, which is Paradise Delight of Paradise Vietnam Cruise. This is a spectacular show that combines music, dance, acrobatics, and visual effects and tells the story of the legend and the culture of Halong Bay. You can enjoy the show on the spacious and elegant theater of the cruise, and be amazed by the talent and creativity of the performers. The show is a highlight of the day cruise package of Paradise Delight, and it will surely leave you with a lasting impression of Halong Bay.
Estimated cost for a Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi
The cost for a Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi may vary depending on your choice of transportation, cruise, and activities. However, here are some estimates for your reference:
- Private car or motorbike: The rental fee for a private car or motorbike may range from 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 VND per day, depending on the type and quality of the vehicle. You also have to pay for the fuel, which may cost about 300,000 to 500,000 VND, and the tolls, which may cost about 100,000 to 200,000 VND. The total cost for transportation by private car or motorbike may be about 1,400,000 to 2,700,000 VND.
- Public bus: The ticket price for a public bus may range from 100,000 to 200,000 VND per person, depending on the type and quality of the bus. You also have to pay for the taxi or the motorbike taxi to get to and from the bus station, which may cost about 50,000 to 100,000 VND. The total cost for transportation by public bus may be about 150,000 to 300,000 VND per person.
- Shuttle bus: The ticket price for a shuttle bus may range from 200,000 to 400,000 VND per person, depending on the type and quality of the shuttle bus. You also have to pay for the pick-up and drop-off service, which may cost about 50,000 to 100,000 VND. The total cost for transportation by shuttle bus may be about 250,000 to 500,000 VND per person.
- Seaplane: The ticket price for a seaplane may range from 6,000,000 to 9,000,000 VND per person, depending on the type and quality of the seaplane. You also have to pay for the taxi or the motorbike taxi to get to and from the airport, which may cost about 50,000 to 100,000 VND. The total cost for transportation by seaplane may be about 6,050,000 to 9,100,000 VND per person.
The sightseeing ticket is the fee that you have to pay to enter and visit the attractions in Halong Bay, such as the caves, the islands, and the fishing villages. The sightseeing ticket may range from 100,000 to 250,000 VND per person, depending on the number and type of attractions that you choose to visit. You can buy the sightseeing ticket at the ticket office or the cruise office, or you can book it online or through your travel agency.
If you want to cruise Halong bay from Hanoi, the cruise ticket is the fee that you have to pay, which will provide you with the boat, the guide, the meals, and the activities. The cruise ticket may range from 500,000 to 5,000,000 VND per person, depending on the type and quality of the cruise, and the itinerary and services that it offers. You can buy the cruise ticket at the cruise office or the pier, or you can book it online or through your travel agency. One of the most recommended and affordable day cruises is Paradise Delight of Paradise Vietnam Cruise, which costs only 1,500,000 VND per person and includes a 5-star super-dining cruise, a scenic tour around Halong Bay, a spectacular real-life show, and a delicious lunch.
Other costs are the expenses that you may incur for other things, such as souvenirs, drinks, tips, or personal items. These costs may vary depending on your personal preference and budget, but you can estimate them to be about 500,000 VND per person.
Tips for Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi
To make the most of your Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi, here are some tips that you should keep in mind:
- Book your trip in advance, especially during the peak season or the holidays, to avoid the shortage and the price surge of the transportation and the cruise.
- Check the weather forecast before your trip, and prepare accordingly. Bring a raincoat, a hat, sunscreen, and a jacket, depending on the season and the weather. Also, be flexible and ready to change your plan if the weather is unfavorable or the trip is canceled.
- Follow the safety rules and the instructions of the guide, and respect the environment and the culture of Halong Bay. Do not litter, do not touch or damage the formations in the caves, do not feed or disturb the wildlife, and do not swim or kayak in the prohibited areas.
- Enjoy your trip and have fun, but also be responsible and respectful. Halong Bay is a natural and cultural treasure, and it deserves your care and appreciation.
Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi is an incredible experience for those looking to explore the beauty of one of Vietnam’s most renowned destinations. With Paradise Delight by Paradise Vietnam Cruise, you will indulge in unique and extraordinary experiences during your journey, including visits to captivating attractions, engaging activities, and witnessing the first-ever onboard performance in Halong Bay. Don’t miss the opportunity to discover Halong Bay on a one-day trip from Hanoi.