A Guide to the Unique Language of Games Players
If you’ve ever tried your luck at bingo, you know that it’s not merely a game of chance. It’s also a vibrant social ecosystem, complete with its own unique jargon, or ‘Bingo Lingo’. While this may seem confusing to newcomers, it adds another exciting dimension to the game, making it even more fun and engaging.
Why Does Bingo Have Its Own Lingo?
Bingo Lingo comes from the tradition of British bingo callers adding rhymes and phrases to the numbers being called out as a way to break up the monotony. The result? A charming, cryptic language that gives each number its personality!
Understanding Common Bingo Lingo
To help you get started on your journey to mastering Bingo Lingo, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most common phrases:
- Legs Eleven (11): This term sounds humorous, simply because it rhymes with ‘eleven’. Or, as some would say, it resembles a pair of legs.
- Two Little Ducks (22): When written, the number 22 looks like two little ducks swimming side by side. It’s a visual jokeâ€”one that never fails to get a chuckle.
- Clickety Click (66): “Clickety click” is just a fun, spirited way to say sixty-six. It also rhymes flawlessly!
Chatter of the Bingo Room
Aside from number calling, the chatter of a bingo room is filled with phrases that might seem alien to any first-timers. Here are some common examples:
- Ready for the Push: One waiting for the next number to be called.
- Checking: When someone has marked all numbers needed for the win and the host is verifying if it’s a valid win.
- 1TG/2TG: These are used in online chat. They mean one to go/two to go – as in players needing just 1 or 2 more numbers to win.
The Evolution of Bingo Lingo
Bingo Lingo remains a vibrant aspect of both traditional and online bingo. Even as the game evolves, the language retains its charm. Digital formats, however, have added a new twist, with the advent of letter and number combinations to create phrases like ‘BTW’ (by the way), ‘LOL’ (laugh out loud), or ‘GL’ (good luck). These only make the game more dynamic and attractive.
Whether youâ€™re a seasoned professional or a newbie, knowing your Bingo Lingo only adds to the fun of the game. So, the next time you play, you wonâ€™t just be dabbing away in silence. You’ll be a part of the lively, unique culture that is Bingo.